PLEASE NOTE IF CONTAINERS ARE OVERFILLED, UNLABELLED OR IN THE WRONG PLACE WE CANNOT TAKE THEM
Key Information To Help Us Serve You Better
PLEASE REMEMBER TO -
- Attached lid firmly BEFORE use.
- Engage the closure when full.
BE GREEN - plastic pipette tips can be collected in a screw cap plastic tub (e.g. an empty media bottle) and, with the lid securely closed, disposed of as solid waste (see below). Empty tubs are available from CTS in a box outside the media prep service.
Cat 2 Solid/semi-solid waste (including agar plates)
- Cat. 2 waste goes in an autoclave bag inside a RED box. Please tape the lid onto the box with autoclave tape when it is ready to collect. Do not overfill - the lid must fully close the box.
- In MSI 2 (MMB) only, Cat. 2 waste goes in a heavy duty autoclave bag inside a WHITE biohazard bin and is collected daily. The bags are sealed with a red zip tie specific for MMB waste. The waste is transported in a specially marked biohazard waste truck.
- Collect in glass bottles/flasks or aspirators; NOT beakers.
- Containers must be covered either with a cap or with foil.
- Put a piece of autoclave tape on the top and label "WASTE" to indicate it is ready for collection.
Each lab has designated collection points for contaminated liquid waste
for Cat. 1 waste - GREY box or a GREY/RED bucket trolley
(local exception applies in DSTT where Cat. 1 waste trolleys are silver – see lab manager for details)
for Cat. 2 waste - always a RED box
Collect eggs in autoclave bags and place in SMALL GREY boxes in the cold store (see lab manager for more details).
After decontamination reusable items are washed in laboratory disinfectors and returned to labs (see Glassware page).