Dr Nick Brewer FRSB MRSC FHEA
I run two activities on Saturday mornings as part of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Science Masterclass.
Dr Nick Brewer:
I am a senior lecturer and the Associate Dean: Learning and Teaching within the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee. I am also the programme lead for the Co-Curriculum and Foundation programmes. I’m Yorkshire born and bred, originally from Halifax in West Yorkshire. I studied Chemistry at The University of Leeds for my undergraduate degree and the University of Manchester for my PhD in Physical Chemistry. My specialism is Physical and Inorganic Chemistry as applied to Biology. I have a particular interest in Thermodynamics and Chemical/Enzyme Kinetics.
My role within the School is to lead on the Learning and Teaching across all the Undergraduate Programmes, with a particular emphasis on the student journey. I am extremely passionate about lab work, especially project work, I am keen to engage and encourage students from day 1 to design experiments and improve their practical skills.
Before I came to the University of Dundee, I taught at Bradford College, my experience at Bradford was amazing, I taught students from non-traditional backgrounds and the majority of these students to begin with were low in confidence but as the weeks and months progressed began to develop into confident, capable scientists. I believe passionately that as many people in our society should have the opportunity to come to University.
- Chemistry/Physics as applied to Biology
- Design, Delivery and assessment of lab based practical classes, workshops and lectures.
Other roles within the School and University include: University lead for College to University articulation, Adviser of studies, and Module manager (BS11005, BS11007, BS12004, BS12006 and BS12008).
Modules I contribute teaching to:
- BS11003 Lab and Research Skills 1A (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11004 Lab and Research Skills 1B (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11005 Lab and Research Skills 1B (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11006 Physics for the Life Sciences Workshops (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS12001 Life: Building the Organism (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12002 Life: The Underlying Structures (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12003 Lab and Research Skills 1C (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12004 Lab and Research Skills 1D (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12006 Chemistry for the Life Sciences Workshops (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12008 Introduction to Scientific Enterprise (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS21003 Lab and Research Skills 2A (Level 2 Semester 1)
- BS21004 Lab and Research Skills 2A (Level 2 Semester 1)
- BS21008 Bioinorganic, Biophyiscal and Organic Chemistry for the Life Sciences Workshops (Level 2 semester 1)
- BS22003 Lab and Research Skills 2C (Level 2 Semester 2)
- EV22002 Mechanisms and Measurements (Level 2 Semester 2)
- MBChB Year 1 Student Selected Component (SSC) project supervisor (3 students in 2016/17)
- BSc Chemistry with Analytical Chemistry from Leeds University
- MSc in Petrochemicals and Hydrocarbon Chemistry from Manchester University
- PhD in Physical Chemistry from Manchester University
- Previously a Lecturer at Bradford College in Chemistry, Physics and Maths
Awards and affiliations
Member of the Royal Society of Biology
Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy