Members of the Postgraduate Committee and the Postgraduate Co-ordinators in each Division.
As a student you may be eligible for reduced membership fees upon joining professional societies. As a member you will receive newsletters informing you of meetings, developments and sources of funding, and some professional societies will contribute towards travel expenses.
We have produced a series of booklets which we hope will help you to manage your postgraduate PhD studies effectively.
Organisation and Professional Development
The University of Dundee is dedicated to supporting the development of its staff and postgraduate researchers through its investment in their on-going training and development.
PiCLS is the PhD Students' Association in the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee. The main remit is to:
- Organise a range of events including sports and social events, an annual PhD retreat, pub nights, a solely PhD student-organised symposium and an annual ceilidh – all to facilitate networking between PhD students in the School
- Hold monthly meetings with divisional PhD representatives, which are open to all PhD students, to discuss future events and directions of the association
- Try and help all PhD students at SLS to meet up outside of the laboratory environment
- Represent SLS PhD students on School management boards
- Organise SLS public engagement events along with SLSRSA (research staff association)
- Organise a range of seminars and workshops to assist with future career development of PhD students
For more information and for up and coming events please see PiCLS website.
My Dundee is the University of Dundee's web-based student portal, giving our students access to learning materials, student clubs and societies, and many other resources. It also provides access to University of Dundee webmail. All students have a user account on My Dundee.
A valuable resource to postgraduates is Vitae which aims to “champion the professional and career development of postgraduate researchers and research staff in higher education institutions and research institutes.”
A variety of development opportunities and generic skills training are available through Vitae.