The University of Dundee enjoys an international reputation for excellence that attracts top-class students and academics from across the world – with over 140 countries represented in the University community.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the School of Life Sciences for an accomplished candidate with demonstrable leadership experience and proven success in administration and operational management to take on the role of School Manager. The successful candidate will be expected to address all the responsibilities and duties set out in the attached job description.
The School of Life Sciences is a world-class academic institution with a reputation for the excellence of its research, its high quality teaching and student experience, and the strong impact of its activities outside academia. With 900 staff from over 60 countries worldwide, the School provides a dynamic, multi-national, collegiate and diverse environment with state-of-the-art laboratory, technology and teaching facilities.
This is a challenging position and represents an opportunity to influence the strategic direction, cultural leadership and management of the School.
Who we’re looking for:
- Educated to first degree level;
- Knowledge and understanding of the key issues facing higher education in Scotland and how they relate to the University.
- High level business planning, financial awareness and strategic thinking;
- Effective at leading and managing change and creating a culture of positive, highly performing, effective teams;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the abilities to influence and persuade effectively;
- High degree of emotional intelligence, including good listening skills, tact, diplomacy and political awareness;
- High impact influencing skills;
- High level analytical skills, numeracy and solid familiarity with office IT systems;
- Ability to prioritise and manage a very diverse and demanding workload;
- Experience of working successfully and productively with senior academic and professional support staff.
- Senior management experience in a higher education establishment, ideally in a science or medical orientated unit;
- A track record of delivery, ideally in a research-intensive environment;
- An open, inclusive and approachable style of management.
- A demonstrable track record in leadership of a complex organisation/function;
- Record of effectively leading and managing change in a complex environment;
- Skills in strategy /determination and developing the strategic vision of a university.
Interested candidates are encouraged in the first instance to discuss the role with the Director of Academic & Corporate Governance, Dr Neale Laker (email@example.com, x85104). Candidates are also invited to contact the Acting Dean of the School: Professor Inke Näthke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The closing date for applications is 21st August.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff networks for BME, Disabled and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN, the ECU Race Equality Charter and Stonewall as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.