The School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is a world-class academic institution with a reputation for the excellence of its research, its high quality teaching and student experience, and the strong impact of its activities outside academia. With 900 staff from over 40 countries worldwide the School provides a dynamic, multi-national, collegiate and diverse environment with state-of-the-art laboratory, technology and teaching facilities.
We are looking to recruit proactive and reliable individuals to join the Central Technical Services (CTS) within the School of Life Sciences (SLS). You will work as a Technical Assistant to provide core 'housekeeping' support to research labs around the SLS. The SLS is a large research complex consisting of 4 buildings which means the role of a Technical Assistant requires constant physical activity e.g. walking, lifting, and completion of repetitive but essential tasks.
This post is a great entry level opportunity to experience working in an internationally acclaimed science research environment.
Your priorities will include:
- Removing and decontaminating biohazard waste.
- Operating laboratory equipment – i.e. autoclaves, disinfectors, drying/sterilisation ovens, and water systems.
- Preparing and sterilising consumables and reagents for use in laboratories.
- Collecting items from the laboratories for washing, sterilising, and recycling.
- Delivering clean glass/plasticware, consumables, lab coats, and reagents to laboratories.
- Cleaning specialist Cat.2 laboratory areas and equipment (Tissue culture room floors, sinks, incubators).
- Liaise with other support service teams within the SLS – i.e. Stores, Lab management team, Safety Services.
Who we’re looking for:
- A strong team player with good communication skills.
- Ability to work in a busy, high-pressured environment and to maintain work-focus.
- Ability to adapt to changing demands, and work in a flexible team environment.
- Good time management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Good customer service attitude.
- Ability to follow Standard Operating Protocols (SOPs).
- Computer competence including MS Office (particularly Outlook).
- Adherence to Health and Safety policies, including wearing appropriate PPE.
- Adherence to University Equality and Diversity policies.
- Previous experience of working in a scientific environment.
- Operation of autoclaves and laboratory disinfectors.
- Understanding of aseptic techniques and safe handling of biological waste.
Full-time position is permanent.
Part-time position is temporary to cover long term absence (6 months).
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
For further information about this position please contact Ryan Webster (Central Technical Services Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an internationally diverse institution, we welcome job applicants from all countries and nationalities. The School of Life Sciences is proud to employ staff from over 40 different nations.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff networks for BME, Disabled and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN, the ECU Race Equality Charter and Stonewall as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.
Click here to apply for this job