The School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is a world-class academic institution with a reputation for the excellence of its research, its high-quality teaching and student experience, and the strong impact of its activities outside academia. With 900 staff from over 40 countries worldwide the School provides a dynamic, multi-national, collegiate and diverse environment with state-of-the-art laboratory, technology and teaching facilities.
We are recruiting for an exceptional individual to join us as a Laboratory Manager Support Technician within the School of Life Sciences Laboratory Management Support Service Team, to provide a key essential support for the newly established Centre for Targeted Protein Degradation (CeTPD) .
The Laboratory Management Support Service Team are not responsible for research activity but provide a key essential support role. Technical support service duties include procurement of consumables, assisting in coordinating the maintenance and repair of equipment, routine statutory testing of equipment including fumehoods, monitoring adherence to health and safety policy and procedures, general housekeeping and assisting in ensuring the smooth running of facilities such as Containment Level 2 and 3 Cell Culture Facilities and GM plant growth areas. Specialist facilities include biology, chemistry and plant science research activities. The technical team support research laboratories on Main Campus and the Division of Plant Sciences, based in the James Hutton Institute, Invergowrie. The post holder will be working within CeTPD in the first instance.
This post is an excellent opportunity to experience working in an internationally acclaimed science research environment.
Your priorities will include:
- Assisting Laboratory Managers in sourcing of laboratory equipment and consumables ensuring best value, in compliance with University policy and procedure
- Responsible for cleaning, routine maintenance and statutory testing of core equipment e.g. fumehoods, microbiological safety cabinets, water baths, microscopes and centrifuges, sterilisation of CO2 incubators and film processors
- Liaising with Laboratory Managers regarding Health and Safety issues
- Assisting in ensuring all laboratory areas including Tissue Culture Suites are clean and tidy, including work surfaces, shelving and flooring as required, and that a safe environment is maintained
Who we’re looking for:
- Qualified to a minimum of HNC level in a relevant life science/biological subject or equivalent,
- Competent IT skills and use of Microsoft Office Packages
- Strong organisational skills and excellent time management, ability to plan and prioritise own workload to deadlines as required
- Excellent written, oral communication and numeracy skills with ability to demonstrate close attention to detail
- Proven ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team. Experience working in a life science academic Higher Education research environment and knowledge of systems, requirements, processes and procedures is desirable
- Practical knowledge of laboratory techniques such as molecular biology, cell culture and working in organic chemistry would be advantageous
This position is permanent.
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
For further information about this position please contact Louise McGreavey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff networks for BME, Disabled and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN, the ECU Race Equality Charter and Stonewall as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.
Click here to apply for this job